The Media Line: Biden Says Gaza Cease-fire Deal Unlikely as Hamas Resists US Proposal

SHARE NOW

Biden Says Gaza Cease-fire Deal Unlikely as Hamas Resists US Proposal

By The Media Line Staff   

US President Joe Biden stated on Thursday that he does not expect a cease-fire and hostage release deal for Gaza to be reached in the near future, emphasizing that Hamas needs to align more closely with Israel’s US-backed proposal.

Speaking at a Group of Seven summit in Italy, Biden addressed the cease-fire discussions, responding “No” when asked if a truce deal would be reached soon. He added, “I haven’t lost hope, but it’s going to be tough.” Biden stressed that “Hamas has… to move.”

During a joint press conference with Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky, Biden elaborated that Hamas was hindering progress towards a deal. “I’ve laid out an approach endorsed by the UN Security Council, the G7, the Israelis, and the biggest hang-up so far is Hamas refusing to sign on, even though they have submitted something similar,” he said.

Negotiators from the US, Egypt, and Qatar have been attempting for months to mediate a cease-fire and secure the release of more than 100 hostages taken by Hamas in October, who are believed to remain in Gaza.

Biden’s proposed three-phase plan, outlined last month, includes an initial six-week cease-fire, an Israeli military withdrawal from populated Gaza areas, and the phased release of hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners. Despite international support, Hamas rejected the proposal, citing the lack of an Israeli commitment to a permanent cease-fire.

Brought to you by www.srnnews.com

Submit a Comment